On a world-wide day of celebration of the defence of human rights we present a new initiative on behalf of cartoonists everywhere.
One of the most significant tasks for CRNI over the past year was our role within the planning committee for the Cartooning Global Forum (États Généraux du Dessin de Presse), not a new organisation but rather a new opportunity for cartoonists, the bodies that represent them and affiliated stakeholders from the press and media as well as those working to protect freedom of expression to share knowledge and experience and identify areas of common interest where we can work collectively.
Using three of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals — Peace, Justice & Strong Institutions, Reduced Inequalities and Quality of Education — as a framework of discussion, human rights were at the heart of the event from its inception. Today, as the 70th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights is celebrated, our colleagues in Paris have released a brochure summarising the inaugural forum that took place at UNESCO on October 3rd. You may download a pdf copy below.Download Report
We hope that in addition to providing a useful record of the first chapter in this story it will attract even greater levels of participation in the next forum. Significant dates between now and then include:
- December 2018: applications for participation in CGF/EGDP 2019 open
- March 2019: finalization of recommendations from CFG/EGDP 2018
- May 3rd 2019: communication of recommendations, marking World Press Freedom Day
- October 2nd 2019: CGF/EGDP 2019, Paris (venue tbc)
And while looking both back and forward, let us extend the compliments of the festive season to all cartoonists, their families and friends around the world. We hope a happier, safer, freer New Year awaits us all
Thanks once again to the rest of the committee:
- Nicolas Jacquette (director, Studio Irresistible)
- Jérôme Liniger (director, Studio Irresistible)
- Gérard Vandenbroucke (honorary president, Centre Permanent du Dessin de Presse, Saint-Just-le-Martel)
- Corinne Villegier (director, Centre Permanent et Salon International de la Caricature du Dessin de Presse et d’Humour, Saint-Just-le-Martel)
- Chloé Verlhac-Tignous (director of publishing, Editions Les Petites Teignes)
- Patric Pinter (cartoonist for l’Orient le Jour)